Saturday 12 September 2009

World Champs 2009 - The Final Chapter

The big day began this morning with a wake-up call from reception at 5:15am. Around to the shop for milk and juice, then back to the room for a quiet breakfast, trying not to disturb Elaine so early. With my bike racked from yesterday at the race site I took a taxi 5 km down to the coast to the race site, passing stragglers from last night all along the Gold Coast Highway.

Stopping for a quick coffee fix, the slow procession of starters made their way past and down to transition. USA, New Zealand, GB, Japan, Netherlands, Canada and of course Australia.

I arrived at the bike about 2 hours from start and went about setting things up. It was weird, lots of nerves and slow-thinking. Setting up the bike was like doing it for the first time - doing and re-doing things, walking away and leaving the wetsuit behind me, etc, etc.

The nerves kept coming and so I stopped and sent a few texts home. The replies calmed me a little and I started to put away everything I didn't need in the baggage hold and munched down a snack of banana bread and water.

The swim began 1.5km downstream of transition, and I walked this more or less alone, taking my time and watching others in earlier waves run past me. Elaine and her parents had followed me from the hotel and I was happy to find them waiting at the swim start. A few photos, loads of hugs and best wishes, and finally a call to the line.

Off went the klaxon at exactly 8:29, about 200 triathletes all aged 30-34 hit the water. I was determined to sight the course better today but this was difficult when one of my goggles started filling up. I fixed this up and swam the rest of the way, hoping to avoid being 'lapped' by the 35-39 group leaving 9 minutes behind me.

As I approached the swim exit, the top three from this wave did pass me, but I looked down at my watch and up at a shouting Niall Collins. Both pleased me very much - about 28 mins on the swim was ahead of my target 30 min swim and Nialls shouts spurred me through transition where the Justin family took up the cheering.

Transition was long, but well ordered and I had made careful note of my bike position. A quick change and I picked up Nialls bike and hit the bike course - two laps of a straight 10k route with few hills and no real turns.

The drafting on the course was something else. Entire squads, the Aussies in particular, cruised by leaving individuals in their wake. Penalties were apparently applied, but I seen more accidents as a result than any yellow card. In fact at one point I was almost involved in a serious collision as a group rounded me on a roundabout.

The bike was however fast and I was soon back to transition. I glanced at my watch again as I took my first steps on the run, seen 1:37, and knew that a moderate paced run would give me a sub 2:24 PB.

The run was the most difficult part of the day, 25 degree heat and midday sun conditions making it hot, sticky and tough. Along the way I had support from Elaine and her parents, who like Niall, Sarah and Leo Collins seemed to be able to get everywhere on the course to cheer me on. The Irish suit also got a lot of cheers from other countries, USA and Australia in particular 'Go Irish Guy' being a popular chant.

I crossed the line in 2:22 and felt great.

The whole event was organised so perfectly, the sense of occassion was huge, and it was for me everything I had expected it to be. A great medal, brilliant support and knowing so many people at home were watching on the net and thinking of me contributed hugely to the whole day.

The season is over, the holiday begins properly and I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks time!