Thursday 10 September 2009

The final 24 hours

One day, almost exactly 24 hours now to go. I start tomorrow at 08:29, thats 23:29 in Ireland. My race number, if you are watching the web, is 1201.

I took a swim this morning, trying to shake off a few flu symptoms (it seems to have worked), and to also try out some new sighting techniques and equipment (i.e. better goggles). If anything the water has cooled down, but today a final decision will be made re: use of wetsuits. The weather outside is still superb, it is 16 degrees now, expected to rise to 23, and the forecast is the same through to Monday so I can expect the same tomorrow - nice racing conditions, eh?

For me, today is mainly sight-seeing with Elaine and her parents and I heading up a local skyscraper, out to sea to find whales and on to Sea World theme park before tea. In between I need to rack my (sorry, Nialls, I mean Nialls!) bike and later on pack the rest of the gear for tomorrows early start. There is also a very exciting u23 race on, which I will be trying to catch some of.

Last nights opening ceremony and parade of nations was good. Brilliant aboriginal dance and an impromptu haku from the NZ squad.

So that's all the news for now. Thanks for all the texts and messages, I will be thinking of them during the race tomorrow.